Pages

Monday 3 March 2014

Top Twitter clients for Android!

I started using twitter some 5 years go. Back then all I used to do was follow my favourite personalities on twitter day in and day out. I had no idea what twitter was actually all about. Sharing status and interacting with people and friends was the thing of Facebook.
Time has changed and so did my preferences. I stopped using Facebook entirely a few months ago and decided to opt for Twitter full time.
 And the result is, I don't miss Facebook anymore. Yes my friends are not available on Twitter but whole world is at your disposal at all times. Interacting with people and making new friends is so much more fun. Hash tagging has opened up a whole new world for me.
To savor my Twitter needs, the official twitter client on my Android smartphone was the go to app for me. Then suddenly all hell broke loose, Twitter decided to make some changes to their app, I don't know what they were thinking making it more like a messaging app, but they simply made it more convoluted to use. It was much more simpler and straight forward to use before.
Frustrated with the new and confusing Twitter update I started to look for some 3rd party Twitter clients. As usual Google Play Store didn't disappoint, its oozing with Twitter clients. So many options to choose from, I decided to try them one by one until I found the ones that suited my needs.
Let me share these two Twitter clients I came to adore.
The first one is plume. Its the most complete and feature rich app that I've come across. Its beautiful, simple, easy on the eyes and doesn't confuse you the way the official Twitter app does. It can handle multiple accounts at the same time and along with Twitter it has the option for linking your Facebook account as well.
When you fire up the app first you are welcomed with the tabbed interface showing your timeline, mentions and direct messages. You can swipe to move on to the next tab. One thing that I really fixated on, was the ability to add more tabs of my choice. You can select from your lists, timeline, timeline with mentions, mentions alone, Facebook, favorites and search. That's some serious customization right there. I keep two of my favorite lists, my timeline, mentions and DMs on the front.
Swiping from the right edge opens your sliding drawer, which is in line with Android guidelines. It gives you complete control of your account.
You can change every aspect of the app from the settings, it allows you the complete freedom to use Twitter the way you want to use it. You can change the way it looks, tweak notification settings and automatic update tweets, your photo uploading service and even choose your favorite URL shortening clients. It simply caters to all your needs in an awesome way. The app itself is very smooth and fast. There are very few bugs, if any.
If you are looking for a most complete twitter experience, give it a try. Its free to use but you can also pay to remove ads.
Talon for Twitter!Talon is relatively a new app on Play Store. And boy is this app beautiful... It gives you the amalgamation of gorgeous looks and complete user experience. It has got all the features you can expect from a Twitter app. From having the ability change the look (light mode and dark mode), multiple user accounts, built-in browser, card based UI, favorite users and customizable notifications to a native YouTube player , it has it all. Its a complete Twitter experience.
It also takes a lot of cues from the Google Card based UI. Tweets are stacked as cards and you can pull down to refresh the stream. It gives a pop up window when you click a tweet or open up a user profile so you never leave your main page, you are simply working in another window overlaying the main app. 
Sliding drawer from the left gives you main control center of the app. From there you can jump to your timeline, direct messages, mentions, re-tweets, lists and favorite users. If that's not enough than you also get a developer friendly theme engine and the ability to build your own theme. 
If you need an app that comes in the category of "beauty with brains" than Talon is for you. Although its going to cost you some money. Its a paid app but its totally worth it. 
Why official Twitter app still works for me!
 As much hate as the official twitter app got for its design changes I still keep it on my phone. For two reasons! First original is, after all, original. And the second and more rational reason is, it still works for me in some ways.
First, they may have changed and twisted the User interface of the app but its still a good looking app, it looks sophisticated. And I simply can't get past the favorite user notifications that it provides me with. Plus when you start to type in a hashtag, the app automatically shows you the list matching your query, same goes for twitter handles. For someone who use these features a lot, there isn't anything out there more reliable and smoother than the official app. 

No comments:

Post a Comment