Pages

Monday 30 December 2013

kitkat!!

Touchwiz!                                                                                                                                              
                Just a year ago i got my first smartphone, a samsung galaxy s3 errr "The samsung galaxy S3". At first it was all great and my new gadget was fast and polished and smooth. I was happy!! Then after a couple of months something started happening, and the curse of android struck my S3 too, it started to lag and stutter, and I was like.... what the hell!!!! I had just got the worlds most popular android superphone (at the time) and its already crappy,slow,laggy and above all miserable. Desperate for help I searched the internet and came across several blogs that the fault was by default not in the android but.........touchwiz!! Yes i said that, touchwiz..... it was bloated and loaded with Samsung own apps which i had not once used and was never going to so why were they there, sitting silently eating away my phone resources. That was it, I had to find a way to remove those apps and make my smartphone.....well smart again. Another couple of hours of internet searching taught me some very new and interesting facts and ways and i stumbled upon the world of Rooting!! Now I am not going to get into any details of rooting, lets just say I was ready to experiment with my new and expensive phone, the burnt of bloatware brought me to that end...after all i didn't spent that much for a laggy and stuttering phone. I wanted a fast and polished experience!!


Jellybean!
                With jellybean, Google promised a fast and smooth experience for android (project butter) and promised smoothness and finesse that it always lacked. But there was big catch, for all these benefits you literally had to be using pure android i.e no touchwiz or sense or timescape etc. Because these custom skins always slow down the software thanks to there heavy customization options and bloatware they come preloaded with. So i rooted my phone and installed a custom rom which was running on pure android jellybean. And.....I liked it. It was certainly better than the touchwiz but it wasn't what I was expecting,not that it wasn't fast or something ,for me it was not visually pleasing. Those techno blue colors and highlights were far from my idea of a modern UI. But one thing was sure, it was smooth, buttery smooth if I may, and fast, very fast. I  got rid of the bloat and there was no lag either. But i didn't hold on to it for much longer because for me it was far less intuitive and innovative,android had a long way to go still,I thought. Soon I reverted back to touchwiz and dealt with the bloat for the major part of the year. Yes it was laggy and sometimes bit slow but at least it was stable and offered a lot of features.


Kitkat!
           Kitkat is by far the most accomplished android version that Google has released. Not only it has been visually changed it now also has a smaller memory footprint which mean that it can be used on mid level android smartphones easily and will be much faster. And it is much faster. I have been using android Kitkat 4.4 from the day cyanogenmod released their version of it on my S3 and I am simply in love with it. It is fast,smooth,pretty (blue is gone and white has prevailed) and that Google experience launcher!!!! I just love it. I haven't felt the need to apply any other launcher on it because it doesn't need one now. It is perfect the way it is. That swipe to launch Google Now is awesome and I am loving it from day one. That holo UI is still there but now it has white color icons and text. Thankfully those blue icons and colors are gone. They had already started to feel dated. New toast notifications are cute. Folders when opened now have a white background. All in all Google has changed a lot in Kitkat and I am glad that they did!! They have made it a lot more cleaner and smooth and fast. A lot of whites have been added which look absolutely pleasing. There are also background changes in Kitkat,but hey who cares about that. All we the end users need is a good experience and that's exactly what Kitkat delivers. Now for the first time I can say that android is right up there with ios shoulder to shoulder. It was already ahead in functionality but now it has also caught up on the user experience. In the end all I want to say is that now that I have tasted Kitkat I cant go back to anything else....
           

No comments:

Post a Comment