Pages

Wednesday 19 March 2014

Android Wear!!! Another addition to Google's armor.



Yesterday Google announced Android Wear and shook the tech sphere. Tech websites, blogs and podcasts were buzzing with Google's latest offering. And if that was not enough, Lg and Motorola came riding on the heels of Google, and announced their respective watches, LG G watch and Moto 360.


Needless to say it also got me very excited. As for months I've been drooling over the idea of getting myself a pebble steel, I heard the news that Google is releasing their Android SDK for the wearables. So I decided to wait and as it seems, the wait has paid off very well. Now I'm focused on getting my hands on a smartwatch powered by Android Wear and there are several reasons for that.

First of all, Android Wear is built around Google Now, and we all know what a beast Google Now is. Getting information automatically when I need it the most from Google Now is now a norm for me. Whenever I go somewhere, it shows me nearby places, shows me the distance from my home and time it would take to go back. Every site that I visit, my Google Now will give me a polite nudge when that site is updated again, it tells me when my favorite team is going to play its next match and keep me updated with the score. In short, Google Now has made my life simpler in many ways through its automated notifications.


Now imagine having that power on your wrist and getting important updates at crucial times through your watch. It's out of this world! And this is just a start, with Android Wear you can interact with your watch through voice, by saying OK Google, and your watch will be ready to serve your command. You can ask it to send a text for you or play music for you or set a reminder or reply to a message and the list goes on. Several of its functions are automatic such as when you are on the move like walking or running you watch will tell you the calories you are burning, if the music is playing, it will automatically identify the song for you. This is just scratching the surface, though with this kind of power and resources the possibilities are endless for Android Wear.


As one of the Ads that Google released shows, Google is definitely going to integrate Android Wear with all the Home automation stuff Google is invested in. And, if they can pull it off, Google is very well poised to take the world by a storm. Only the time will tell how further Google will take this and how much integrated in our lives. Right now all eyes are on the two watches that LG and Motorola announced and more will be coming soon enough. Google named several partners who will be making use of the Android Wear and these partners are big wigs of the tech world such as Samsung, LG, Asus, Motorola and Htc.

With this kind of support we will surely see many devices powered by Android Wear and hopefully at different price points. What do you think of Google's new venture?? Will you buy an Android powered smartwatch?? Feel free to share your views in the comments.




No comments:

Post a Comment